Monday, February 13, 2012

Kaleb's Birth

I remember feeling some contractions June 15th, 2004 (37 1/2 weeks) and I couldn't really sleep. It was just after midnight and I was on the couch reading when my water broke. Shortly after that the contractions started. I thought it would take awhile for them to be regular and close together but they immediately were 3-5 minutes apart. We called the hospital around 1:30 and they had a doctor call us back. After speaking with him he said to come in. I figured being my first baby I had time so I took a shower and we headed for Cottonwood Hospital around 3:30. On the way there the contractions were getting really uncomfortable. They checked us in at 4:00am. It took awhile to get everything set up. The contractions were really strong and so Matt asked the nurse if I could get an epidural. By this time it was about 6:00am and I didn't get the epidural until right before 7am. This picture was after the epidural. I felt so much better. And at some point before the epidural I was really nauseous and they gave me a popsicle to eat but I couldn't keep it down.

After the epidural I quickly dilated and at 8:30 I started pushing. At 8:59am Kaleb was born weighing 6 lbs 13 oz and 21 inches long.

That's my doctor, Dr. Lloyd. He actually delivered me when I was a baby and now he was delivering my baby.

He screamed until he was wrapped up then he was quiet and really awake.

When he was on the warming bed being cleaned up he peed all over the blankets because they didn't have a diaper on him yet.

My mom and dad were there and then I called my best friend Amber and she came with her mom.

This is the second day. Matt's parents arrived the second day.

Matt's mother, Rue.

Kaleb had dark brown hair and quite a bit of it in the back which of course he lost over the next couple months. Giving birth was an amazing experience. The hospital stay was hard because of the pain I was in and then they wanted Kaleb in the room with me and he didn't sleep at all. Being my first time I just went with whatever they said. It was crazy to load Kaleb in the car and head home with a new baby that we had to take care of. The first week was rough because Kaleb would projectile throw-up and I was an emotional wreck not knowing what to do. But after that we started figuring things out.

Here's a video I put together after he was born:

No comments:

Post a Comment